Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Few Blocks

Two nights ago I went to go pay a surprise visit to my girlfriend who lives several blocks away. I was there to surprise her because she enjoys that sort of thing. Of course when I arrived at her house to surprise her she wasn't there. That was alright though and I was actually half expecting her not to be home but the effort was well worth it. However when I started walking back home I decided to take a different route that was out of my way and longer than the usual way home. I was walking down a street that I've never actually traveled on before. The houses there were actually quite beautiful and that street seemed almost as if it were part of a neighborhood separate from the rest of downtown. The houses were well kept with decorative lamps set in pairs on the walkway of every home. Small patches of grass were present as if to say ya, this is the American dream, but there were no big lawns. The colors of the houses were nice neutral colors, muted in tone with matching trim. Such a respectable little enclave was hidden under old trees so tall and broad they swallowed every street lamp and extinguished the light from them with their broad leaves. When I walked to the end of the street I found a lonely concrete island in the middle of the intersection. I walked out to the island and looked back down the street. I realized that I only live three blocks from where I was standing. I'm so boring and unadventurous that it's taken me a couple years to find a place only a couple blocks away. There must be lots of interesting stuff close by, I've just never really taken the time to look. School, work, girlfriend and sleep in that order. That's been my life, but maybe there are other things close by. It's probably worth the time to at least take a look.

Prevaricate: To be deliberately ambiguous or unclear in order to mislead or withhold information.

Evocative: Serving to bring to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment