Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

Every year since I left home I always travel back for Thanksgiving and Christmas. This year I have been so busy I almost forgot that I was supposed to get on a train to go home. Fortunately I made it just in time to the train station on Tuesday. It's always nice to see everyone at home. My family hasn't changed much except for my younger sister. Suddenly she's eighteen, a freshmen in college, and we can carry on a decent conversation. We were actually able to go play pool together at the local pool hall and catch up over a couple of close games. Seeing her grow up is a pleasant change. I think it's going to make it more rewarding to spend time together as family. I was also able to visit my best friends from back home. It's so nice to spend time with the guys I grew up with. We hardly talk except for when we come back home for the holidays. When we get together we always summarize the last six months of our lives over a few beers, give each other a hug, then go home. I never get to stay home long enough to hang out with them more than once. Hopefully when I'm finished with school I'll be able to make more time to visit everyone back home. I really miss everyone here and I think they miss me as well. When I'm home I also make sure to spend some time with my dog Max. We always go for walks together at night to catch up. He doesn't say much, but that's alright with me.

Sycophant: A servile flatterer, especially of those in authority or influence

Moribund: On the point of dying

No comments:

Post a Comment